MTD is investing big time in local middle and high school registrations this year. New year registration is the perfect opportunity to connect with families early and get their child’s school year, and school transportation, off to a solid start.
All Through the Town
We will send one Staff member and one Bus Operator or Information Assistant from our Customer Service Department to every single school registration. How many registrations are there? There are two days of registration for Urbana School District #116 totaling 14 hours. There are five days of registration for Champaign Unit 4 School District totaling 96 hours (Champaign middle and high schools each host their own registrations).
Many of these dates are considered make-up registration dates. But any student on any given day could be a rider! This year, MTD’s table will be equipped with:
- A laptop with Wi-Fi connection to look up transportation options on our public website.
- A school-specific binder filled with single sheet handouts for each morning and afternoon school tripper for distribution.
- A magnet with “fill-in” space for the student’s customized morning and afternoon trip information.
- A wide ruled notebook that features MTD’s school rules of riding on the inside front cover. These will be distributed to middle school students.
- A FAQ about school transportation to answer general questions about valid school IDs, subsidized transportation eligibility, fare payment if the student is less than a mile and a half from their school, etc.
Providing transportation to the local middle and high schools is a significant undertaking that necessitates a lot of MTD’s resources on a daily basis. From our Maintenance Department providing extra vehicles to scheduling Operators to fill school runs, from Street Supervisors going to each school at dismissal to our Control Center locating lost book bags and musical instruments, this is a valuable community partnership.
The annual contracts for these services are negotiated by our Managing Director Karl Gnadt. He sits down with Urbana School District #116 and Champaign Unit 4 separately to agree upon contract terms. Both school districts appreciate the flexibility and opportunities our bus services provide. Not to mention, both Districts save significant amounts of money annually in transportation costs. How much? About $1.4 million annually for both Districts combined.
There are more opportunities to continuously improve the local school transportation MTD provides. For 2016, we’re focusing our efforts on school registration. What are your ideas for what we should focus on next?